Thursday, July 22, 2010

SDCC: Pie in the Sky questions

Does anyone else think it's kind of funny that a convention devoted to comic books is now mainly for movies and television? San Diego Comic Con is underway, I believe, and I'm not going because that would be just totally irresponsible of me. Plus I'd be totally out of my league and... you get the idea. I'd make a fool of myself. Me and my Irish skin would not abide the Southern California sun. Even indoors, that sun would find me and roast me. But if I COULD go, I've been thinking about what I would ask people to sound smart. 'Cause, you know, I am.

First of all, I would go to the Green Lantern movie forum. I'm totally stoked for this movie. Martin Campbell resuscitated the James Bond franchise TWICE so he's golden in my book. Ryan Reynolds has the chops, so I have faith. Geoff Johns is loving the way the movie's going, so I do too. So I wouldn't ask about Green Lantern. It will rock. Period. I want to know more about the Deadpool movie. What's going on with that?

Next: Joss Whedon in the Avengers forum. Everything Whedon has been responsible for that I have seen has been extraordinary. Firefly. Astonishing X-Men. Serenity. Dollhouse. Just plain brilliant. One of my favorite things about Whedon is that he writes strong, capable, believable women. Too often in comics, women characters are caught up in being snotty or too concerned about their hair or the men in their lives or their clothes... whatever. Whedon writes women I care about better than any other writer. Like, since Euripides. He's directing Avengers? Awesome. It will rock. Still, let's take a look: Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk... there's a term for this: sausage fest. Ok, it will rock, but what about those strong women that Joss writes? What women characters are we going to see in Avengers? (See what I did there? I assumed there would be women characters to begin with and jumped straight to the point. Booyah.)

I may drop in on Joe Quesada talking about how he's going to try to fix the whole Spider-man One More Day massacre and ask "What the hell? Did you honestly think this would go any better? Really?" One of the most disastrous events in comics history. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check it out on Wikipedia or something. You may lose faith in comics altogether. I just about did. It made readers nostalgic for the Clone Saga. Writers too. That's how bad it was.

I may ask the Chuck panel if they're looking for unknowns who are willing to act for cheap. Like meals only. Seriously you guys. But then we're entering the realm of making a fool of myself. I knew it.

I feel like there was one more question I thought would be a good one, but I've forgotten it. I think it had to do with some rumor I read about. Don't remember. Forget about it.

It Might Not Suck at SDCC '11? Doubtful. At the rate I blog, I'll probably die first.

No comments:

Post a Comment